The facility is equipped with technical instrumentation including a Thermo Scientific Excelsior AS and Leica TP1020 Automated Tissue Processor, Veridiam Tissue Arrayer, a Sakura Tissue-Tek embedding station, a Leica XL Autostainer, several manual and motorized Microm microtomes and a Shandon cryostat.
- Tissue fixation, processing, embedding, and sectioning of paraffin- embedded and frozen specimens
- Routine histological stains (e.g., H&E, trichrome, and others);
- Special stains (e.g., Sirius Red, PAS, reticular fiber stain, Voerhoff’s elastic stain, von Kossa, Orcein, van Gieson, and many others)
- Immunohistochemistry, immunocytochemistry, histochemistry, etc.
- Customized characterization of antibodies for immunohistochemistry
- Special procedures (e.g., mammary gland whole mounts, en face preparations of arteries, etc.)
- Custom tissue microarrays
- Performs all histology related services for human specimens obtained through the BioBank at MHIR
Obtain the appropriate Histology request form below. For requests outside the MaineHealth Institute for Research, please contact the Manager to arrange services. For in-house requests at the institute, refer to the Tissue Submission Protocols and submit the internal request form and specimens as directed.
Email completed form(s) to Grazina.Mangoba@mainehealth.org
Questions? Contact Us
Director: Volkhard Lindner, MD, PhD
Manager: Grazina Armie Mangoba, HTL (ASCP)
Research Associate II: Qiaozeng Wang